2020 Never to be forgotten kinda year-Reddit Year in ReviewDecember 10, 2020
So it is the last month of the year and we are almost halfway through. You what that means? Well, aside from trying to scramble on your Christmas shopping and prepping your family Zoom party it is also time for year-end reviews from our favorite tech companies! Google recently released their 2020 Year in Search and I must say, it really hits the heart. Can we say the same for Reddit? While Google is a tear-jerker, Reddit conversations and their year-end review are keeping into the platforms’ culture – real.
Reddit’s Year in Review 2020
The Pandemic Effect
Coronavirus became one of the most talked about topic on Reddit since hte pandemic hit. There are 50.2M+ mentions of COVID, COVID-19 or Corona Virus all over reddit. r/coronavirus became the top 3 most popular community on Reddit.
Other top discussions and communities on Reddit
r/unemployment is one of the communities with the highest growth since the start of the pandemic last March. Work search, career workshops and online careers are just some of the most discussed topics in this community.
Social distancing, medical advice and reliable sources are just some of the top discussions on the different coronavirus communities on reddit.
The most upvoted posts of 2020 on Reddit
- (406k upvotes) I’ve found a few funny memories during lockdown. This is from my 1st tour in 89, backstage in Vegas. (via r/pics)
- (292k upvotes) A short story (via r/memes)
- (272k upvotes) Please make this go viral. I am begging you. Police and National Guard patrolling neighborhood and shooting civilians on their own property. Make America see this, I beg you. [Minneapolis] (via r/publicfreakout)
- (271k upvotes) If this is you: Fu*k you (via r/pics)
- (258k upvotes) “Everybody’s trying to shame us” (via r/publicfreakout)
The Never to Be Forgotten Year
Indeed, 2020 is a never to be forgotten year and this is not only because of the pandemic but also because of the us. People banding together to beat the scourge of the virus in our physical, mental and financial health. While 2020 is the year that exposed the bad in humanity, it is also the year that brought out the best in us. So yes, reddit got it right 2020 is a beautiful rotten never to be forgotten kinda year.